Thursday, April 16, 2020

Gilbert Stark's Civil War Era Letters to His Family at Perry, Kansas


Letter from Gilbert J. Stark to His Family at Perry, Kansas (Part 1, November 1856)

Note: These old letters are part of the Stark family heritage and were shared with us by Irene Gordon of Ozawkie, a Stark descendant. The letters are 127 years old [in 1990], written in long hand by Gilbert Stark to his family. As we copied them we typed as nearly as possible the spelling and punctuation as he used it. A soldier in the Civil War, Gilbert Stark paints a picture of his times, which we now share. 

[Gilbert Stark was born in Ohio in 1835. His parents moved to Perry, Kansas, in Kansas territorial days. He traveled east in search of work in 1856, when he was 21 years old.]

Hamden, Nov. 16th / [18]56
New Haven Co.  Ct.

Dear Father and Mother,
I avail myself of this opportunity of writing a few lines to you to let you know my whereabouts  I am wel as usual only I have got a hard cold  I like this place very wel but the country as a genral thing I dont’ like. Lant can tel you the circumstances of our being separated  I intended to have seen him again before he went home but I could not if I went home with Mr. Cooper, it cost me 84 dolars to come here & I thought that I could never spend 4 dolars in a beter way then to get a peep at New Haven  I come home with Mr Coopr one Monday Night & I hired out one thursday night and comenced work friday morning  I am to work fore, Hail & Aling, Co. an omnibuss line. They keep 9 horses & run an omnibuss to New Haven, 3 times a day. I have only hired to them for one month fore shure & at the end of the month if we booth like I have agreed to stay untill the first day of April for 18 dolars per month  I drive team most of the time or shal do so after a litle. I have drove omnibuss ever since I have ben here. I shal have to haul one load of wood to town a day & then at night drive a four hours omnibuss to town. The[y] has a man put one sone teams opposition to the men that I work fore & as long as that last I shal have to drive Night & day  last night I drove to town twice & did not get to bed untill after one o clock.

I dont know as I am making a living here but there is one thing that I do know that is I wil try  I have bought me a new pair of boots fore 3 dolars, a pare of Gloves 1.22 & a pair of over hauls for .50 cents so that I am pretty will drest. I think that I shal stay here untill spring if nothing hapens & then if you want me to come home & stay next sumer I will do so. I had rather stay to home than to stay here in the sumer time. I want you to write just as soon as you get this & let me know how you got along  I shal send you 20 dolars in this letter & I want you to write whether you got it or not  dont fail to write just as soon as you get this fore it has ben so long since I have heard from home that I should like to get a line. Gile Briggs wanted me to write what wages was  tel him if he wil come down here in febuary he can git big wages. I want you to pay Lant 50 cents for me, father I wish that you would take that Harness of Chadbourns & get it fixxt & send it home  ther is a colar & bridle that goes with it  that little colare is the one, it wants one new pipe, one hip strap wants fixxing & the chains want fixxing. I ment to have done it before I come away but foregot it. I thought that I had eat oyesters in Ohio but I never did until I come here. I want Hariet and Lydia & Hellen & Frank & all the rest of you to write to me & I wil answer as fast as I get time. I cant write any more at present.

I have not told you half of the news about the hills & mountains that we crost  I shal have to put it of[f] until some other time. I am in a hury now & wil write soon again. I want Mother to write & I want you to write fore it is lonesome — here. If it was not fore Cooper folk I should dye but I go & see them often  they are good folks  Good bye from your Afectionate son
            Gilbert J. Stark

(To be continued) 
This story appeared in “Yesteryears” in October 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment