Friday, April 17, 2020

Gilbert Stark Enlists in the 32nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, August 1862


Letter from Gilbert J. Stark to His Family at Perry, Kansas (Part 2, August 1862)

Note: These old letters are part of the Stark family heritage and were shared with us by Irene Gordon of Ozawkie, a Stark descendant. The letters are 127 years old [in 1990], written in long hand by Gilbert Stark to his family. As we copied them we typed as nearly as possible the spelling and punctuation as he used it. A soldier in the Civil War, Gilbert Stark paints a picture of his times, which we now share.

[Gilbert Stark married Maria Connor in Union County, Ohio, in 1860. Their daughter, Kittie, was born in December 1861. He enlisted in Company B, 32nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, August 8, 1862. Company B was recruited mainly in Union County, Ohio. Stark was promoted to Corporal on January 1, 1863. “U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865,” gives his age at enlistment as 27.]

Fort Segil
August the 29th, 1862

Dear Father & Mother,
I avail myself of the oportunity to i[n]form you of my health & whereabouts. I hope this will find you all well & happy  I have inlisted into the service of my country. I thought it my duty. It was the ha[r]dst trial of my life. I had just setled down and was prosperous  I had a Wife & one child & to leve them was hard  it tried my iron will fore once.

Mother  Kitty is the handsomest child I ever saw & I never knew how well I loved them untill I left but such is the fate of man; I thought that Maria could not stand it  it was hard fore her. . but all should be ready to make the sacrifice let it be litle or grate. her health is better this sumer than I ever knew it. she lives at squaire Reeds & will untill I return  she will come up & make you a visit if you will let her know wheather you can meet her at the cars.

I sold my corn and hogs 1 yourk of oxen fore 7 hundred dolars  I left 9 good horses & 2 cows — [?] head of young cattle & 1 hundred dolars worth of farming utensils untill I get back — I only got 50 dolars down; don’t give yourself any unease about that note that you seinged with me fore I have left a plenty to pay all my debts and leve Maria 1 thousand dolars  tel Lucina that she must wait a little until I collect some of my pay but Maria will pay the Interest this fall. I left Maria a plenty to do here while the ware wil last  yesterday the booming of distant cannon around our camp; all is anrzty here. it is rumored that a battle is going on between Jackson & Pope  we hope fore the best but no nothing as yet; a horsman has just arived; the blood stained sides of his panting steed shows that he has come at a fearful pase; the Artilrey horses is just hitched; now they go of[f] as hard as they can whip  the Cavelry has just ben drawn up in line, the order is forward & away they go. we are not to go away from our post.

The people of this country is ful of sech but few union people in this place; Virginia is ful of mountains & hills  it looks a good deal like the state of Neyork  whear we are is very healthy  we have splendid watter; it is very cold here nights. it is very dry and has ben ever since early in the season. I should like to have Maria come up their & see you  I want her to spend the time as pleasently as she can while I am gone  Lon Wilson & Joseph Ault is here with me  they are both good boys  we are both in one company; Jack is in the 96 Reg. Please write often to me fore a leter is a prise. Yours truly, from your affectionate son,
            Gilbert J. Stark

(To be continued)
This story appeared in “Yesteryears” in October 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment